Last night I successfully P2Ved SLES 9 using VMware Converter Standalone Server 4.0.1 to ESXi 4.0.0 (Dell R900). The two(2) SLES 9 running Novell iPrint & Virtual Office. There is no procedure or guideline to P2V both servers but I always do this when it come to Novell OES server:
- stop ndsd, namcd, slpd, ntp, tomcat4, httpks services
- stop any third party software like antivirus, database & etc.
- enable root access on SSH
- start P2V
Things that may need some alert :
- LVM volume will not be preserved after conversion
- SLES Network may need to reconfigure via yast
The conversion is pretty straight forward since both servers dont have any LVM volume. On the converter site, I always choosed static IP instead dynamic & use ip address instead hostname for source machine. If possible get SLES 9 rescue CD if anything goes wrong to your SLES 9 machine after P2Ved.
Leave a comment